How do I get a copy of my divorce papers?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a copy of my divorce papers?

Asked on July 7, 2015 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Getting a copy of divorce papers is a fairly routine process.  A divorce decree is recorded by a court clerk in local and state records. As a party to the proceeding you can get a certified copy, which will act as offical proof of your divorce. 

What you'll need to do to get a copy of your divorce papers is to apply to the vital statistics office in the state where the divorce was granted. Typically, such a request can be made by phone, mail, online or in person.   

The person asking for a copy of the papers will need to be prepared to provide some basic information about the divorce, such as the full names of both the husband and wife; the date of the divorce, where the divorce was granted, and what is the reason for requesting a copy. 

Depending on how you made your request (by by mail, in person, etc.), it can take anywhere from 10 days to 6 weeks to get your copy.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption