How do I get a charge dropped?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get a charge dropped?

My husband was locked up last month for a misdemeanor charge (shoplifting) while on probation. I bonded himout the same night but he was put back into jail when his felony probation officer found out the next month. Now I would like to very much get him out as soon as possible, and by doing that I need to find out how to get the charge against him dropped and get in contact with probation officer. I have left countless messages on her phone but never got any phone calls returned. Should I hire a criminal lawyer to help me? In Gwinnett, GA.

Asked on June 12, 2011 under Criminal Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your husband absolutely needs a criminal defense attorney. Bottom line, you cannot get the charges dropped if he indeed committed the act and was caught on tape. The prosecutor may consider a plea but that may or may not help the continuation of his existing probation. At times, even if the charges are dropped, and depending on the conditions under which he is on probation, his probation may still be revoked and he may wind up with a longer sentence. So the best bet at this point is to meet with a criminal defense attorney and discuss with the attorney both the current charges and his previous conviction and probation. Bring with you all documentation you have and discuss everything, all options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption