How do I gain legal third party access to my son’s rental property if he has been hospitalized?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I gain legal third party access to my son’s rental property if he has been hospitalized?

He has been hospitalized due to an attempted suicide. We need to gain access to our son’s rental property to secure important documents and check the welfare of a pet ferret. The owner of the property has verbally denied access based on landlord/tenant laws on property entry.

Asked on June 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Except that a landlord can enter the premises in an emergency situation and although the laws generally mean an emergency with the apartment, dealing with a neglected animal could be enough.  I am assuming that your son is an adult and I am sure that this situation is difficult enough without other obstacles, but keep in mind that the landlord is just protecting your son's belongings here.  So if you can not get your son to sign a Power of Attorney form allowing you to act on his behalf - and then you can enter his apartment - then you may need an emergency court order to do so.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption