How do I find proof of a trust in my name?

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find proof of a trust in my name?

Asked on August 30, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you are a beneficiary under atrust, you need to write the attorney in charge of the trust or the trustee of the trust inquiring of your status of a beneficiary or not of it. That is the interesting thing about trust adminsitration is that trusts are not public records and since they are not public records, many people utilize them for estate planning reasons as well as the fact that trust administrations generally proceed much quicker than the statutory time for probate administration.

If there happens to be a trust where you are a named beneficary, you are entitled to a copy of it for review as a matter of law. If there is a trust administration pending where you are a beneficiary under the trust, the attorney handling the process and the trustee are required to keep you informed about its progress.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption