How do I find out when or if I’m divorced?

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 15, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out when or if I’m divorced?

I was married 07/15/1986 in Reno in 1996 my husband sent me divorce papers
I signed some time later. I don’t know if he ever filed them. He passed
around 2005 and I don’t know if we were divorced or when.

Asked on April 15, 2019 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You could send someone to the court where the divorce may have been filed to look in the court's computer for ypur husband's name under petitioner or your name under respondent to obtain the case number. Give the case number to the court clerk and ask to see the file. The file can't be removed from the court, but can be photocopied. A file that old might be in storage, and the court may need to retrieve it from a storage facility.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption