How do I find out if my ex got a settlement?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out if my ex got a settlement?

My ex husband was ‘hurt’ on the job. Because of this he was put on workers
comp which means that child support went down dramatically. Ive looked up
other cases in IL where the ex still has to give 20 percent of any income,
including a settlement. He recently has been spending a lot of money. He is
aware that we will be going back to court after he gets his settlement. I think he
might of gotten this but is lying to me. How do I find out if he received his

Asked on February 6, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You would have to go in to court sooner than you think, allege that he received a settlement in the Petition and ask the court to have him produce the information.  Ask for a subpoena to be issued to the worker's comp board - do not take your ex's word for it.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption