How do i find out if I have a misdemeanor warrant for my arrest in Illinois?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i find out if I have a misdemeanor warrant for my arrest in Illinois?

I was arrested for under the legal limit of marijuana approx. 7 years ago and never went to court. how do i find out how if there is still a wattant and how to go about taking care of it?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Criminal Law, Missouri


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Warrants never expire.  You need to contact an attorney in the local area to where this happened.  He'll have contacts with the court there and can hopefully use them to lessen any penalties for you.  However, some minimal jail time may be required.  I don't know for certain but what I can tell you is that dealing with this now and going into court voluntarily will weigh heavily in your favor. 

If you are stopped for a traffic violation this will turn up - no matter what state you are in.  Even something as simple as an employment background check could bring this warrant to light.  Taking care of this sooner than later is the right thing to do. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption