How do I find out about an inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find out about an inheritance?

My parents divorced when I was six. He never paid any money to my mother. I’m now retired. My father died last month. I called probate and was told no estate had been opened or will notification. I’m at a loss of how to find out if my sibling and I are due to inherit his property. Do I just hire an attorney or what? Thank you for any help.

Asked on March 20, 2018 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

So there are companies that can do searches of court files for a fee.  You just need to do a little research on the matter.  If your Father died without a WIll then yes, you and your brother would inherit his estate, or part of it depending on if he re-married or has other children.  If he had a Will he could disinherit you if his state law allows.  You should be notified if anythingn is done in the Probate Court but it is a good idea to be pro-active.  Meeting with an estate attorney never hurts.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption