How do I find my deceased father’s Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find my deceased father’s Will?

My father passed away almost 2 years ago. His wife and her children said they get everything his I was told by stepsister that I was cut out of my fathers will it’s not even been through probate, I’ve been checking

Asked on June 10, 2016 under Estate Planning, Iowa


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can double check with the probate court to make sure that it hasn't recently been entered into probate. if it has, then it is now a matter of public record and anyone can obtain a copy (for a nominal fee). If it still hasn't been entered, then as a child, you are what is called an "interested party". Therefore you are entitled to see a copy of the Will. If need be, you can file a request for a copy with the appropriate probate court. It can probably advise you as to the process, otherwise you will need to retain an attorney to help you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption