How do I find a copy of a will for a family member?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I find a copy of a will for a family member?

A cousin of my mother died a few months ago. My mom passed away a few years ago but was still listed in the Will that I saw after the cousin’s death. I was told initially by the executor that since my mom had died that the heirs (my brother and I) would be entitled to some assets along with the other names listed. After a few months, I found out that the Will had gone through probate and the property was sold, however I was not told or involved in this at all. I found out after the fact and when I asked about this the executor said that my brother and I were not entitled to anything because my mother was no longer in the Will. Now unless there was an updated version that I am not aware of, this was not true. I want to see a copy of the Will but the executor won’t show me and I do not have a lot of money to start an investigation without any proof.

Asked on December 28, 2017 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since the Will was admitted to probate it is now a matter of public record. This means that you, or anyone else for that matter, has a right to see it. You just need to pay a nominal fee to get a copy. After, reveiwing it, if you still feel that there was some misconduct in the way that the estate was handled, you can consult directly with a local probate attorney who can best advise you further. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption