How doI file for divorce ifI haven’t seen my ex since we split 6 years ago and he avoids me?

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI file for divorce ifI haven’t seen my ex since we split 6 years ago and he avoids me?

My husband and I were together for less than a year before we split. I moved away to another state and he stayed behind. He told me a few years ago he had the divorce papers and I have given him my address numerous times but he never sends them and when I contact him about it he doesn’t respond. Can I file for divorce myself? If so, will I have to pay all the costs? We have no children, property or debt together.

Asked on December 14, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


David Lee / Law Offices of David Lee

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can file for a divorce yourself, however if you do decide to represent yourself, a Judge may hold you to the same standards as any other lawyer that would appear in his court.  You will also have to pay for all filing fees associatied with your divorce to the circuit clerk.  



For more information on Divorce, visit my website at:

David Lee

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption