How do I file for bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 21, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file for bankruptcy?

Asked on November 21, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Ohio


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You must file a petition seeking relief under the applicable chapter of the code along with the statutorily mandated schedules and Statement which are found in 11 USC sec. 701 and following.  Your question gives no mention of your financial circumstances so I can't comment further.

Prior to filing, you must complete an approved debtor counseling session.  You can locate such by googling debt counseling on the web.  The services range in price from 0 to $50.00.  The completion certificate must be filed with the proper certification along with the rest of the filing,  A typical filing consists of approx. 40 pages.  Many jurisdictions require on-line submissions.

I would advise you to seek legal counsel to start you on the path.  Many area bar associations offer free or low cost consultations for clients on a one time basis.  If you try it alone, good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption