How do i file divorce?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i file divorce?

My husband and I figth.. and he is hurting me
everytime we have an argument. And i cant stay with
him anymore i have 2 kids. I dont know what to do to
stay way from him.. I want to file a divorce but i dont
know how..

Asked on December 7, 2016 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file yourself. Here is a link to a site that will be of help:
Also, I don't know where you looked for low cost help but see if you qualify for representation by Legal Aid or see if they can recommend someone to assist you. Also, you can check if there is a law school nearby to where you live because most of them run low cost legal clinics. Further, you can contact your county's Bar Association in your county since they may have a list of lawyers who will take your case "pro bono" (for free) or at least for a reduced fee. Additionally, you can contact the Department of Social Services in your area and see if they can refer you to free legal services. Finally, you can google women's support groups as they may be able to provide a list of lawyers in your area who can take a case such as yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption