How do I file an answer to a divorce complaint with a restraining order filed for a minor child?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I file an answer to a divorce complaint with a restraining order filed for a minor child?

I was served with a divorce paperwork. In the paperwork it asks for a restraining order from my daughter, age 3. I am told I need to file an answer to this and don’t know how to do so or find the form. I cannot afford legal help but was also told that I can file to have filing fees waived. I would like to know how to do so? How do I request visitation with my daughter?

Asked on August 25, 2011 Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Some counties have a "legal aid" office to assist people like you needing help in filling out documents for court matters. You should look into whether or not your county has such a program or if there is something similar through you county bar association.

There are forms at the court clerk's office to have one's first appearance fee waived if the person needing to file paper work does not have the ability to pay the clerk's fee for such.

Many states have forms to various lawsuits or marital dissolution actions online. I suggest you look online under "marital dissolution actions in Tennessee" to see if something shows to assist you in your endeavor. That would be the best start for you. The county law librarian also could give you assistance in the forms you need to answer the dissolution proceeding.

As to the request for visitation rights to your daughter, in the answer to the marital dissolution proceeding, there is an area called the "prayer". In it request visitation rights with your daughter.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption