How do I evict my adult sons from my home?

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I evict my adult sons from my home?

My 2 sons (22 and 25) live at home. My younger son has a part-time job and tries to contribute where he can financially (not much but it’s the effort that counts to me). My older son is an absolute slob who hasn’t worked in over 4 years. He doesn’t contribute and expects to be paid to shampoo my rugs, wash windows etc. I’m newly single and am struggling. I’ve had it with this low-life lifestyle they live and would prefer to live alone. Sending a formal eviction notice won’t work; they won’t sign (tried). What are my options?

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your sons are living with you and you want them to leave, here are your following options:

1. tell them verbally and in writing that they need to vacate by a certain date;

2. if they do not vacate by a certain date, prepare a thirty (30) day notice to terminate their lease and have a person over eighteen years of age serve a copy of it upon them personally after you have dated and signed it;

3. if your sons do not vacate your home after thirty (30) days after service of this notice to terminate their tenancy with you, you will need to file an unlawful detainer action against them and have them served with the summons and complaint to evict them.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption