How do I enforce a court order?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I enforce a court order?

In my divorce it is written in the order that my ex-spouse must maintain absolute sobriety 24 hours prior to and during her times of placement. How would I go about enforcing that order? I am aware that she violates it but

what do I have to do or document when it is violated. It seems like her word vs mine type of situation.

Asked on September 18, 2019 under Family Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Legally or procedurally, you enforce an order by making a motion to the family court, under the docket or file number of your divorce case, alleging that your ex-spouse is violating the order and asking the court to enforce it against her. You have to follow all the rules of court in doing so, and serve a copy of the motion on your ex so she has the chance to oppose it, if she chooses.
The court could believe you over her, if you are more persuasive, but you are right: fundamentally, it would be word against word. It would be very helpful to have corroborating or supporting testimony from other persons who saw her intoxicated at those (or at least close to those) times.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption