How do I divorce overseas if I am American and my wife isnt?

UPDATED: May 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I divorce overseas if I am American and my wife isnt?

I have lived in Korea for 2 years. Last year I married a Korean woman. We married in the US and then just came back to Korea. We were there only for the ceremony and to sign paperwork. We registered our wedding certificate here. I am now needing to divorce. No crazy storry for this; it just didnt work out. Do I need to file in the US? I can’t find any information for something with my specifics..

Asked on May 14, 2012 under Family Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you registered your wedding certificate in Korea and are now residing in that country, you should be able to file for a maritial dissolution in Korea once you achieve residency status in that country.

Filing for a dissolution in Korea would essentially be very similar to filing in the United States. I do suggest that you consult with a Korean family law attorney to assist you in the process. It will make matters a lot easier to process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption