How do I ddisputea bill for alleged damages to myformer apartment?

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I ddisputea bill for alleged damages to myformer apartment?

Because of a personal situation, I left my apartment 2 weeks before the lease was over. I gave notice of my moving out and because of unemployment. They said they would bill me for what was due and any possible damages. When I received the bill they tried to charge me over $800 to replace the entire carpet. It was in good condition before I left. I did not take pictures because I didn’t think they would try something like this, and because I left, I couldn’t do a walkthrough with them. I didn’t have furniture. I was barely there.

Asked on August 29, 2011 Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In any landlord tenant situation the landlord is required to send the tenant written notice within a certain period of time after the tenant vacates the unit of items needing to be repaired with the return of any unused security deposit not used for repairs with receipts for the repairs.

A tenant is not required to replace items diminished by normal wear and tear such as carpets. Many tenants at the end of the lease try to charge tenants who are vacating the unit with costs of repair for the rugs and carpets when in reality there is no actual damage or abuse to the rugs or carpets. They simply have been worn through normal wear and tear. When tenants pay for alleged carpet "damage" even though the carpet has been worn down through normal use, many landlords simply pocket the money and do not place new carpets or rugs in the vacated unit.

I would write the landlord a letter about the above saying you are not paying for the carpet keeping a copy of it for future reference.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption