How do I determine my custody position ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I determine my custody position ?

I have a 2 year old in my custody. She has
been with me over a year. I initially took her in
to help her mother out but since her mother
has disappeared as well as all family members
of her that I know. No financial support has
ever been given nor has regular visits. The last
time the mother came to visit was almost 4
months ago. What do I do now?

Asked on February 23, 2018 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I think the first step is to figure out what you want to do here.  Is it that you wish to turn the child in to the Foster Care system?  Or do you wish to file a Petition to obtain custody legally?  If it si the latter you need to wait 6 months to file a Petition for Willful Abandonment.  But in either case you may want to consider speaking with an attorney to best proptect you and the child here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption