How do I compel the Family Court to force my ex into completing our financial separation or move to modify the order to ask for reconsideration?

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I compel the Family Court to force my ex into completing our financial separation or move to modify the order to ask for reconsideration?

Divorce after 30 year marriage (final almost 2 years ago). I signed a quitclaim. He still has not refinanced the mortgage and continues to use lines of credit on that mortgage. I have good credit, but cannot get even a small loan due to the debt to income ratio. My income is $35,000; his is around $70,000. I left in a stressful time and took nothing but the family photos and a car. I get no money from him at all and am just trying to move on.

Asked on June 6, 2011 under Family Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

By bringing a motion for just that relief.  Many times a Family Court will allow you to bring the motion yourself (go down tot he court and speak with the clerk about it; they can not give you legal advice but they can give you forms) rather than having to go through the formality - for lack of a better word - in a Supremeor Superior Court.  He is technically in contempt of court.  And he is not going to be able to refinance if the property is underwater as they say with the loans and line of credit.  But what you can do is close the lime of credit (ask the court to order it and sever the notice on the bank) to stop all this.  And ask the court to allow you to sell the house (look at your options there as well) if that is an option to breaking the ties.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption