How do I collect money from my previous landlord that was already awarded to me by the court?

UPDATED: May 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I collect money from my previous landlord that was already awarded to me by the court?

I recently won a court case and was entitled to receive my rent deposit back in the amount of $4000. It has been about 2 months since I was awarded my deposit back however my previous landlord has not payed me the amount yet. What is the next step I should take to receive my money back?

Asked on May 12, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Congratulations on the award.  What you need to do is to reduce the award to a judgement signed by the court and then to execute on the judgement in the manner permitted by the law in your state.  Since he was your landlord I am assuming that there is property to file a lien against.  And probably bank accounts to levy on. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption