How do I collect back pay for a military retirement benefit from my spouse after divorce?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I collect back pay for a military retirement benefit from my spouse after divorce?

Divorce was final last year. QDRO was initiated with an attorney 8 months ago. As of ths month DFAS still doesn’t have the order in the system. DFAS will not backpay the retirement benefits to the spouse. How do I collect?

Asked on August 6, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the terms and conditions of the marital dissolution agreement that you have written about as to when you are to receive in hand the back pay owed your former spouse since the dissolution agreement controls the situation. Most likely there is a time deadline for such. In essence, you should contact your former spouse as to when you are to get paid on what was agreed. I suggest that you may want to consult with a family law attorney further on the subject.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption