How doI collect against a judgement?

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI collect against a judgement?

I was awarded a judgement for $15,000 in 2008; about $3,000 has been collected from the defendant do far. My lawyer said that I needed to get a collections lawyer because he didn’t think anything else was going to be collected and closed my case. The suit was in SC. I now reside in AZ. What steps can I take to get the remaining money for my lawsuit?

Asked on January 26, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Ok you did not state how the other attotrney collected the portion thus far and you need to know.  A judgement creditor has a lot of options in collecting: wage garnishment, levy on bank accounts; liens against real property, levy on personal property, etc.  I am assuming that you have a valid judgement for execution as you collected money thus far.  You can serve that judgement on banks in the area and restraining notices as to accounts. But it may be best for you to discuss this with a collection attorney after you get all the info from your old attorney on what has been done thus far.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption