How do I claim sole financial liability for an accident

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I claim sole financial liability for an accident

I was in a wreck unfortunately my
truck was still in my ex wife’s
name she had nothing to do with
the wreck but her license now has
a block on it I want to assume
full financial liability for the
accident and remove any actions
against my ex

Asked on February 6, 2017 under Accident Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't simply assume financial liability: the other side has the legal right to sue the vehicle's owner (your ex-wife, since the truck was still in her name) and you can't make them give up that right. You can of course pay whatever amount they are seeking (or if you can't settle ahead of time, that they may win in a lawsuit), and once the full amount that is either agreed to or awarded to them, is paid, the case is over and they can't get any more from your ex-wife. So you can't make them not pursue your ex-wife, but you can pay for her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption