How do I change the name on the title of the property owned by my parents who are deceased

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 23, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I change the name on the title of the property owned by my parents who are deceased

Both of my parents are deceased and they didn’t leave a will. How do I change the
name on the title

Asked on October 23, 2017 under Estate Planning, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to go through probate and get a court order that the property now be titled in your name, assuming (as we do) that you are the sole heir (e.g. sole surving child). Probate, getting title changed, etc. can be complicated if you are not a lawyer who regularly does this: even though I am an attorney, when my father died, I hired a probate attorney to help me. You are strongly advised to retain an attorney to help you. If you insist on doing it yourself, drop down by the probate court in the county where your parents lived and stop by the clerk's office: the clerk may be able to give you instructions or at least point you to some helpful resources.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption