How do I calculate my income for form I-864?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I calculate my income for form I-864?

I am an international student and currently working using an Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment authorization card EAD. I started working about 9 months ago, so my last W-2 tax income only count for about 4 months. Now I would like to do Adjustment of Status for when I get married. My spouse currently has a job offer but has not started working yet so I have to file my income to support her on form I-864. So on the income part of the form, do I put my income as Pay Rate 40 hours 52 weeks, or the income that is shown on my W-2 form?

Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day.

Asked on May 4, 2017 under Immigration Law, Maryland


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You report the income as it appears on your W-2 and/or your federal income tax return.  There is really nothing for you to calculate; you just need to report it as it appears on the official documents since you will also be submitting those documents as your supporting documentation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption