How do I becomethe legal representative of my deceased daughter in order to obtain her medical records?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I becomethe legal representative of my deceased daughter in order to obtain her medical records?

There is no Will, estate or trust. She was 32.

Asked on August 1, 2011 Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so, so sorry for your loss.  I am going to assume that your daughter was a resident of Florida as well.   You need topfile a petition for appointment as the administrator of her estate.  You apply in the county in which she resided at the time of her death.  Once you file the petition notice will be sent to all those who would be her beneficiaries that you are filing to become the personal representative of her estate.  This starts the time running for which they can file objections.  Once appointed you will be issued Letters of Administration.   This will allow you the power to obtain her records.  Good luck to you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption