How do I avoid jail time on my 5th driving on a suspended license charge?

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I avoid jail time on my 5th driving on a suspended license charge?

This is my 5th driving on a suspended. My license was orrigionally suspended for 2 reasons – DUI, and excessive points. On my last court date they said since I was pleding guilty the prosecuter was seeking jail time but the judge did not know how much. I went to jail for my DUI (24 hours) and literally had a break down. I have nerve dammage in my legs from my skin on the cold cement. I can’t go back.

Asked on January 18, 2011 under General Practice, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Do you have an attorney?  You should and if you do not get one as soon as you possibly can.   Ask you attorney about getting yourself in to a program regarding DUI and see if there are any other programs that you can enter voluntarily that will help you and also will "look good" to a Judge.  If you enter in to these programs voluntarily then the court sees you as trying to make a menze for your wrong doing.  Other than that I think that you are on the mercy of the court.  Why are you driving with a suspended license?  Is it for work?  Then you could get a waiver for that.  But really, there may be very little that you can do here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption