How do I approach the D.A. about a case I have info about, if I want to use this info to help out a friend in custody?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I approach the D.A. about a case I have info about, if I want to use this info to help out a friend in custody?

My friend is in custody for robbery. There is no witness since the guy who pressed the charges won’t go to court and continue his case. However, the DA picked up the charges, and is pressing it anyways. I would like to help him to get at least a lighter sentence with this info I have on another case. How do I do this?

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you want to help your friend regarding the criminal charges that he is currently facing, rather than consult with the district attorney's office which is prosecuting the case, I would contact your friend's criminal defense attorney instead to discuss the information that you have.

Potentially your information that could be provided may reduce the negative outcome that your friend may receive as the result of the robbery charge. The last thing you want to do is make yourself a target of a police investigation, or worse yet, be charged with a crime.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption