How do I approach removing a judgement from credit report and collection?

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I approach removing a judgement from credit report and collection?

I had a judgement against me awarded in 08/04. I filed Chapter 13 in 09/04. Discharged in 07/06 . The creditor was listed in the BR. The judgement cannot be collected as far as I know for right now, or can it? I would like to have it removed from my credit report if possible. Should I contact a bankruptcy lawyer and pay them to have it dismissed or vacated? or should I just try to dispute it with the company that has it listed in hopes that it will disappear and not return? Taking all suggestions!

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Bankruptcy Law, New Jersey


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Your debt while discharged will still appear on your credit report between seven to ten years.  This is not a product of your bankruptcy but a product of failing to pay your debt. Your debt or negative reporting doesn't simply disappear from your credit report after having a discharge through bankruptcy.  You can re-affirm that particular debt, negotiate with the creditor to pay it in exchange for having it taken off of your credit report once the payment is received and deposited. Otherwise, consistent review of your credit report and cleaning up any mistakes or old debts can help you.  The remaining amount will simply be a product of the passage of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption