How do I appoint a new successor trustee for a trust?

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 23, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I appoint a new successor trustee for a trust?

My father put his house in a realty trust. He was the trustee and I was the successor trustee. He has passed away, leaving the house to me in the trust. I would like to appoint a new successor trustee in case something should happen to me. How do I go about doing this

Asked on February 23, 2011 under Estate Planning, Massachusetts


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I would suggest that you take the trust document to an attorney who specializes in this area of law in your State.  The Declaration of Trust may itself speak to how a successor trustee is appointed but really the trust document needs to be read in its entirety to figure out the best way to proceed.  If the trust document does not state the procedure then the Massachusetts General Laws that deal with Trusts and Estate procedure will and that is the process that will need to be followed. It should not be that difficult to do but you may need to re-write the trust itself.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption