How do I add my wife to the deed of our home?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I add my wife to the deed of our home?

My step-father and I bought the home and are on the mortgage and deed. I want to add my wife to the deed as well.

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you wish to add your wife to the title to the home that you bought with your step-father, I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney to draft a deed where you transfer your interest in the property (partially) and the best way to do this under the laws of your state taking into tax issues.

Depending upon the state you live in, the transfer of some interest in the property to your wife can be by way of a joint tenancy deed with the right of surivorship or transfer as part of a community property deed where both you and your wife would take title together as joint tenant or as community property.

You would sign the applicable deed before a notary public and then the document would be recorded with your county recorder's office.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption