How do How do I remove my daughter from my deed after I added her

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do How do I remove my daughter from my deed after I added her

I added my daughter to my deed and now I want her
name off immediately. I’m in the state of Maryland

Asked on August 16, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can't remove her: once you give someone something--including giving them an interest in property by adding their name to a deed--you cannot take it back. You could try to buy her out, but she'd have to agree. Or you could get a court order in an action for "partition" requiring the sale of the property, but then you and she would split the proceeds as co-owners. Unfortunately, this is what happens when you give someone something: they don't have to be reasonble or grateful, can do what they like with or about what you gave them, and you can't take away what you have already given them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption