How do citizen’s fight an appeal to a land variance in Superior Court?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do citizen’s fight an appeal to a land variance in Superior Court?

The parcel of land next to my subdivision requested a huge variance change and this effects our properties if given the variance. The local planning and zoning board denied the request and agree with the citizens that a warehouse should not be built on it. The real estate group now has put in an appeal to this decision with the county superior court. What steps or actions can we take to uphold the local board decision?

Asked on September 10, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It's for the planning and zoning board to fight this, since it is their decision being appealled--you want to push the board to defend their decision and support them in doing so.
The board defends its decision by refuting the arguments for its overturning, showing that the decision was well-considered and complied with all procedural rules, and providing legal "authority" or "precedent" (e.g. cases) supporting the board's discretion and their decision should be upheld. The board must hire a lawyer to represent it (or if any board members are attorneys, they can present the board)--the lawyer(s) should know how to do this (if they don't, hire other lawyers).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption