How costly is to evict and collect back-rent from a tenant?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How costly is to evict and collect back-rent from a tenant?

I have a tenant who has been living in my property for 7 months now (3 year lease). He initially paid 1/3 of his security deposit with his first months rent, and committed to pay the rest over the next 3 months along with the monthly rent. We wrote this addendum into the lease contract. The first 5 months went relatively well. They now refuse to pay the rent (2 months)and won’t even communicate. I mailed them a Certified a Notice to Quit which they refused to sign for. How costly is this eviction process going to be for me? I am already suffering such a loss of funds. Do I have a winning chance?

Asked on February 9, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Initially it will be an outlay of money to an attorney to help.  Yes, you should strongly consider getting legal help.  Landlord tenant law is so nit picky that any little thing you do wrong could result in the matter being thrown out of court.  Like the notice to quit you sent: the manner in which you served it may not have been correct so really it is invalid.  But the longer you wait the more money it is going to cost you in rent so really you have to do it now.  You can sue for the back rent as well.  And yes, you have a winning chance from what you have said here.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption