How can you get your beneficiary check sent to the correct address?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can you get your beneficiary check sent to the correct address?

My grandma had passed away and divided the life insurance money up 4 ways. My mom received all the checks sent to her address even though I do not live there and is refusing to give me mine. I was hoping to void that check and have the correct one sent to me. I am not sure what type of plan it was or her social, so I am kind of in the dark. I know what brokerage firm it was through but the number I called said they couldn’t pull up anything. What steps should I take? Is there a number or office where I can pull up to see what my grandma’s policies were all at once?

Asked on September 6, 2017 under Insurance Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Actually, if your mother's address was the one the insurer had on file for or in connection with you, they did the correct thing and sent the checks where they were supposed to. In that event, they are under no obligation to void the current checks and reissue them. Rather your recourse is to sue your mother for the checks: she has no legal right to hold onto your money and has to turn it over to you. If she will not do so voluntarily, a lawsuit is the way you force her to give you what is yours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption