How can you get released on your own recognizance if charged with an criminal act?

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can you get released on your own recognizance if charged with an criminal act?

My sister is in jail for a crime (assault 1/drive by shooting) she did not commit. Bail is set at $100,000, which she has no chance of reaching (bail reduction has been refused). She has 3 children (a 3 month old and 3 year old twins), is a stay at home mom and does not have the money or means to flee.

Asked on March 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Washington


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A PR Bond (Personal Recognizance) are usually issued for non-violent offenses where the person does not appear to be a flight risk and a violent risk to the community at large. At this point, because of the violent nature of her charges, the court has placed her on a 100,000 bond in which a PR Bond is highly unlikely. If she has an attorney, an argument can always be made to lower the bond given her status as a mother, and if so , she could possibly work with a bail bondsmen to post bond.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption