How can you file and complete a divorce if you have no money?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can you file and complete a divorce if you have no money?

My brother is an alcoholic and not employable, 62 years old, severe sight issues, trembling and overall in bad health. His wife is bringing boyfriend’s home. I want to get him medical help and help get him out of this marriage. Considering there are no funds, what can a brother do?

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Considering his overall medical condition, while your brother could file for divorce on his own, he really should have a lawyer represent him. There are agencies and groups that provide legal assistance to individuals who are income eligible for free for those who qualify. Legal Aid is one such service. Additionally, he can check to see if there is a law school nearby to where he lives; they run free/low cost clinics that handle divorce cases. Also, he can contact the county/city bar association to see if it has a list of attorneys who will take his case "pro bono" (i.e. for free) or at least for a reduced fee based on his icome/circumstances. Finally, he can contact the Department of Social Services to see if it can refer him to free legal services.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption