How cana felonbe charged with possession of a firearm ifthey weren’t found with a gun?

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How cana felonbe charged with possession of a firearm ifthey weren’t found with a gun?

My 18 year-old son was on probation for burglary and theft. He then got arrested for 4 more burglaries and 4 thefts. He was then charged with possession of firearm by convicted felon. How can he be charged with possession if he had no gun when he committed the crime and none when he got arrested? A gun was stolen from the house he burglarized. Another guy wrote a statement saying that my son sold him the gun. But as far as I know there is no proof besides the word of this guy. Is there anything that we can do?

Asked on January 22, 2011 under Criminal Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You are putting the cart before the horse, as they say.  In other words, you re getting ahead of yourself.  You seem to have already convicted your son here.  They have CHARGED him with these crimes; he has not been convicted of them as of yet.  You still have to go through the evidence that has been collected against him.  So you need to make sure that he has a good attorney for all of this. Is the gun that the guy says he sold him the gun that was taken in the burglary?  If it is and they can connect him to the burglary then they may try to prove it through that connection - I do not know not knowing the facts and seeing the evidence that they have against him.  Get him help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption