How can we get rid of a piece of ‘swamp land’ that we inherited?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we get rid of a piece of ‘swamp land’ that we inherited?

We inherited an uninhabitable acre of land in Florida when my parents died. We have tried donating it to charities and even giving it back to the state with no luck. We can not close the estate until we get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Asked on November 10, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to find somene to take it off your hands voluntarily: you can't simply give up ownership of land, since you can't force anyone else (even a state) to take it. You could try even paying someone to take it; or else you have have to simply take and keep this useless, uninhabitable land as if it were valuable, and close out probate on that basis. If there are any neighbrs, will any of them take it off your hands?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption