How can we get fair price for auto?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can we get fair price for auto?

I was involved in an accident about a week ago. I was sideswiped by another car on the highway. Our car is a 11 years old but in excellent condition with low mileage. My husband restores cars and we have kept this one in great condition as it is our main car and we planned on keeping it for quite a while longer. I am unemployed and we really can’t afford a car payment and increased insurance rates. I am afraid they are going to only offer us blue book value for our 11 year old van. What is our recourse?

Asked on May 11, 2017 under Accident Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers for the property damage to  your car,  your only recourse is to reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.
If you prevail in the case, you can enforce the court judgment with a wage garnishment against the at-fault party.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption