How can the police arrest a person and keep them for over 24 hours without fingerprinting them or taking their mugshot?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can the police arrest a person and keep them for over 24 hours without fingerprinting them or taking their mugshot?

Person was released on bond.

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Mississippi


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should be charged with an offense once the police have sufficient evidence; and you should be released as soon as it is clear that they will not be charging you.  As a general rule the police can detain you for up to 24-36 hour depending on the offense (or 96 hours with the permission of a magistrate).  At the end of that period they must charge you, release you unconditionally or release you on bail.

Since you presented little by way of the specific facts of your case it's hard to advise further. At this point you may want to consult directly with a criminal law attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption