How can my husband adopt my child?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can my husband adopt my child?

Biological father has terminated his rights.

Asked on September 6, 2012 under Family Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the biological father's rights have been terminated and there are no issues with your husband (i.e. like alcoholism, abuse, etc.), then your husband can petition and the court will likely approve the adoption of your child.  The court will most likely order a "social study" to verify that the adoption is in the best interest of the child.  A social study involves a social worker coming into your home and observing the surroundings and the interaction of your husband with the child.  The process is not extremely long-- usually the hard part in an adoption is terminating the rights of one or both parents, but since this has already been done, what you're seeking should be fairly simple absent any unusual circumstances.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption