Can my first cousin become a legal resident if he marries me?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my first cousin become a legal resident if he marries me?

I am a US citizenbut my first cousin is an illegal immigrant who came to the US 5 years ago. We want to get married because we truly love each other, however, our family does not know of our relationship. We want to know if it is possible for him to attain legal residency in the US and how to go about doing this?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Immigration Law, Connecticut


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This kind of filing can get complicated. However, if marriage between first cousins is lawful in your U.S. State of Residency, then you can file for his immigration.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption