How can my ex boyfriend get “child molester” off his record?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can my ex boyfriend get “child molester” off his record?

We were a couple when I was 16 and he was 19. I became pregnant by him when I was 17 (still not a legal adult) and he was 21. Thinking I would have a baby I then realized I was not ready, neither one of us was, so I decided to have an abortion and I did. Now on his record says that he is a child molester because I was underage and now this is interfering with him getting a job or going to school.

Asked on August 24, 2011 California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

He would have been arrested and gone through the criminal process. He was tried and convicted as a sex offender and unfortunately that is an issue that is not up to you to fix. You can, however, check with him and see if he is able to appeal this decision or see if he can obtain criminal counsel to check into possible expungements or post-conviction lessening of this crime to something else that doesn't require sex offender registration. Unfortunately, this is really a strict liability crime in California; no intent to have sexual relations with a minor needs to be present. It is simply a matter of the fact you were underage and he was not. You can certainly look into criminal defense attorneys yourself. You can also check these attorneys records at the California Bar website to ensure they do not have a disciplinary record with the State Bar. Good luck to you and keep in mind, sometimes hearing from the victim in these types of situations may help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption