How can I work with a customer who “belongs” to another company?

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I work with a customer who “belongs” to another company?

I own an independent travel agency. I contracted to take some leads from a large internet based company and signed a contract agreeing not to contact or sell to their leads after ending my contract. One of these leads has asked me to help her plan a trip. I explained that I couldn’t help her that she belonged to the internet company and she said that she only wants to work with me. What can I do? Isn’t it her right to work with anyone that she wants?

Asked on April 2, 2012 under Business Law, Maryland


Glenn M. Lyon, Esq. / MacGregor Lyon, LLC.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It might be her right to work with you, but you may not have the same right.  The answer depends on the terms of the contract you signed with the company.  Have a local business attorney review it and tell what you can or should do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption