How can I verify if my husband ever divorced his first wife about 30 years ago?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I verify if my husband ever divorced his first wife about 30 years ago?

We married 28 years ago, a second marriage for both of us. I remember looking back that the marriage license listed his info as his first marriage, while mine was listed as my second. I thought it a typo and never thought again. I now have to wonder if the divorce ever happened. My gut feeling is no, it never did, and

therefore my marriage is null and void. How can I confirm? I don’t remember the

name of his first wife.

Asked on August 27, 2016 under Family Law, Massachusetts


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you know in which court your husband's divorce was filed, you can go there or send someone there if it is not near where you currently live, to look for your husband's name in the court's computer under petitioner and respondent.  That will give you the case number and will confirm that the case was filed.
After obtaining the case number, give it to the court clerk and ask to see the file.  A file that old is probably in storage and may not be immediately available until it is retrieved from storage.  Once you have the case file, you can't remove it from the court, but can have the court clerk photocopy the file or those sections of the file you want.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption