How can I tell if my registered name is a tm infringement?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I tell if my registered name is a tm infringement?

There is a that is a network to recycle goods for free. It is a listserve. I want to use that is a social network where members can give items for free targeted towards the arts. Members create galleries and groups and share advice about art and new uses for materials. freecycle is a 501c3. freeARTcycle is a “project” of a S corp

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Business Law, North Carolina


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

That's an interesting question, and sometimes those "interesting" questions need a full trial to get a final answer.  That's not always a good thing.

You should talk to an attorney who specializes in trademark law, or "intellectual property" which is a somewhat wider field that includes copyright law as well, who can get into this question in a bit more detail.  Your lawyer may also be able to work out ahead of time with the owner of "" whether there's a problem at all, or if it can be negotiated through.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption