How can I sue my employer for work stress, etc. if I’m a minor?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I sue my employer for work stress, etc. if I’m a minor?

I have been working for a company for over 2 years now and over the course of this time. My employer has consistently made other workers as well as I, late to our events due to her own issues and made us stay later to make for that time without pay. She rarely gives 24 hour notice before our shift. She consistently forgets shifts on checks. She exploits minors by binding them by a contract that they are too young to understand.

Asked on September 10, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There is no lawsuit or legal claim for work stress, including for minors, because there is no legal right to a no- or low-stress work environment: work, to be blunt, may legally be incredibly stressful. There is no obligation on employers to provide you notice of shifts. There is no restriction on an employer's ability to make you stay late due to her errors. She does not have to take any consideration of your events or your life needs. Employment in this nation is employment at will: there is no right to a job, let alone a fair job.
However, you must be paid for all hours and shifts worked if you are an hourly employee: it is illegal for your employer to "forget shifts on checks" or to make you work without pay. You do have a legal claim for that. The best way to pursue it is to contact the state or federal Dept. of Labor to file a wage-and-hour claim.
As to contracts: due to your age, they may not be binding on you, since typically minors may not enter into enforcerable contracts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption