How can I stop my union from deducting dues when I resign membership?

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can I stop my union from deducting dues when I resign membership?

I work for the US Postal Service and want to quit membership in the APWU (American Postal Workers Union) I want to stop the APWU from deducting dues from my pay. APWU states you can only resign from the APWU within a 10-day window which opens TWENTY days before the anniversary of your membership date (your join-date) and closes 10 days before that date. Is there any legal precedent I can use to get around their resignation rule?

Asked on March 7, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to contact the major membership director or head of the union and find out what you can do. Further, it doesn't sound correct that you must pay dues if you no longer work for the post office. However, if you are still employed by the post office, you may wish to first speak with your personnel department. If that doesn't help, review your entire membership book and if it indicates you have windows to become members or windows to end memberships, ask the personnel department to give the statutory basis that allows them to do that. You cannot be held to such a contract, it would be considered unconscionable. However, you need to check if you still have to pay a fair share.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption